Goldfish are one of the most popular pets in the world and for good reason. They’re adorable, easy to care for, and relatively low-maintenance. But what about their health? What do you need to know if you want to keep your goldfish healthy and looking their best?
What is astaxanthin?
Astaxanthin is a naturally occurring carotenoid pigment found in the marine algae, Haematococcus pluvialis. It is responsible for the red-orange color of salmon, trout, and other seafood. Astaxanthin has a variety of potential health benefits, including anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects. It is also a natural UV protectant and may help improve vision and cognitive function. Preliminary evidence suggests that astaxanthin may be beneficial for heart health and cancer prevention as well.
What does astaxanthin do to goldfish?
Adding astaxanthin to your goldfish’s diet can help make their colors more vibrant and enhance their overall appearance. It is also very superior in grooming, making them look sleek and healthy.
Recent studies have shown that astaxanthin can improve the health of goldfish. It helps to protect them from oxidative stress and inflammation caused by environmental factors such as pollution and sunlight. Astaxanthin helps to neutralize the harmful effects of these agents and can help keep goldfish healthy and looking their best. Astaxanthin also strengthens the immune system, which helps to protect goldfish from disease. In addition, astaxanthin can improve their swimming performance and make them more resistant to stress.
Benefits of using astaxanthin on your goldfish
- It’s a color enhancer, improving the color of the fish, especially red and orange.
- It improves fish appetite and digestion.
- It improves fish resistance to disease, leading to a decrease in mortality among the fish.
- It has naturally powerful antioxidant and antibacterial enzymes that help to improve the health of the fry and juveniles to reach adult fish stages.
- It helps fish become reproductive and improve fertilization and survival rates during the incubation period.
- It is also used as an additive in commercial pelletized feeding and steamed eggs to promote and improve the coloration and muscle improvement of the fish.
How to use astaxanthin for your goldfish?
Pour sufficient amounts of liquid astaxanthin into the pellets, depending on the amount of the feeds, and soak the pellets for 10 to 30 minutes before feeding.
Steamed Egg Preparation
Mix 10-50 ml of liquid astaxanthin into the steam egg mixture before steaming the mixture, depending on the number of steamed eggs you prepared.
Add 50 ml to 100 ml of liquid astaxanthin to 10-20 gallons of water in a separate container or tank and set it with high aeration to achieve a better circulation of the astaxanthin in the whole container or tank.